Tuesday, August 3, 2010

A Similar Story

I got a call last night from my ex, John who is in Florida with our kids. I had not mentioned it before but a few days ago we traded heated emails because I was trying to do the right thing and tell him about the fact that we are eventually moving. He sent me some not so nice emails on the subject which led me to block his email and block him on Face book.

As I have said, he called me last night because that was the last open line of communication left to him. His dad is in the hospital dying as I write this. Most of you know that recently Doug’s dad died too. I spoke with him and he told me that the kids did not know. I mentioned that I asked my daughter Katie how he was and was told he was fine. Not the case.

I told him that he needed to speak with the kids ASAP because they need to be ready for what  happens next and not be blind sided by it. I am not sure if he did that or not. He did apologize for those emails and under the circumstances, I unblocked his email.

I have had a relationship with this man for over 10 years now, some of the time it was good, some  not so good. I am worried about how my kids will deal with this. I am kind of worried about how John will deal with this. Honestly, I am not sure how I feel.

To be smacked upside the head with this now, is to be honest, kind of hard. While we had our differences, and there were many, I did respect the man. He had serious health problems since I have known him. I am sad, but I am not sure what else I am feeling. He is a big part of my kids’ life. Many times he helped us out when we needed it. In the end, he was not so nice to me, but he will have to make his peace with that, I already have.

John and I have had our problems as well, lately those not so nice emails come to mind, but I would never wish this on my worst enemy. I am sending prayers to my almost father in law, because I do not want him to suffer any more than he has to at this point. God be with you, Jerry.

2 comments:

  1. I feel the same way about my ex father-in-law. This has to be tough coming so soon on the heels of Doug's father.

    Take care of yourself and make sure that you are available for your children.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was terribly upset when my ex FIL passed away. I always adored him.
    Is there anyway you can speak to the children for or instead of him? He may not be of mind to do so, for when you speak of it, it makes it really real.
    My thoughts are with you all.

    ReplyDelete

Tell me about yourself....