Saturday, September 10, 2011

9/11

9-11-eagleSince Sunday is the 10th anniversary of 9/11 I thought I would do an entry early. Usually I do a  post about someone who perished on 9/11. This year I am doing this differently. This year I am going to talk about my feelings about 9/11, then and now. I remember it like it was yesterday.

9/11 changed my life in so many ways. Personally, it devastated me. I had a very difficult time getting past it. As it turned out, someone I cared about deeply died on that day. He meant the world to me. Not only to me though, to his family too.

As a mom, I had the hard task of explaining this to my kids. My son was 6 at the time and my daughter was 4. As fate would have it, they were home that day with me sick. I got a call from my mom telling me to turn on the TV in time to see the second plane hit and the tower fall. Both of my children saw this and of course did not understand it. I actually think that they thought it was a movie or TV show.

I had the unenviable task of explaining what happened to them. When my son went to school he had a couple of classmates who had family in New York. Everyone was sad and I am not sure that he understood totally why. I explained as best as I could at that time to them both.

A couple of years later my daughter asked me about it and I explained what happened. It was hard to tell a child about people who wanted to kill innocent people because of a religion. For the most part as my kids have grown up they have dealt well with the new world we live in now.

Since then, so many things have changed. Some not for the better too. Lately in the news there have been talk about credible terror threats. Now a days, I am more into supporting the military and I worry about my guys. Since all of this has been going on a lot of them are getting alerts. A lot of the National Guard units went on alert.

I knew as this anniversary of 9/11 got closer that more and more terror threats would come to light. It makes sense. However, if something happens again there will be no place that these terrorist could possibly hide. I strongly feel that is very true. I love this country faults and all. Here is to a quiet 9/11.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me about yourself....