Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Self Truths

Everyone eventually discovers their own self truths. Not everyone will go looking for them and sooner or later they will smack you in the face and you will have to deal with them. On the same level, everyone realizes when they have to take responsibility for their own life. Now, admittedly not everyone will actually take responsibility for their own life.

I personally realized that I had to take responsibility for my own life after I got divorced at 19. Which made me different than most of my friends of the same age. I had been through some major stuff and had come out on the other side. The only thing different, was I was no longer a kid. So much bad stuff in my life and ugliness, I realized that I could not really expect anyone else to take responsibility for my bad choices, starting with my ex husband.

It is not easy being responsible for your own life. I make bad choices and I have to deal with them. I have had some issues here and there with choices I have made and now I am smarter about the choices I make. I am more picky about who spends time in my world. I no longer let just anyone in and I am all the better for it.

That was one of the hardest lessons I had to learn, that not all people who want to be in your life should be in your life. If someone wants to be in your life, they will make choices, time, and do things to show you they want to be there. Sometimes, I would let people into my life who did not show me that they wanted to be there. I just allowed them in and they created havoc and left my life in shambles a lot of the time.

I got smart eventually. Now a days, you have to prove that you want into my life before you are invited, kind of like an initiation into a really cool club. You have to pass the test before you are a member and not everyone passes the test. Those people you have to be willing to let go when they fail. That is the hardest part in my opinion. There will be some people  that you really want in your life and they will fail the test. You have to let them go, they might be back and when they come back they may pass that test. If they don’t come back, well, maybe it was better that way.

1 comment:

  1. Great post, Tawnya. And the thing about those self-truths is that sometimes they're a moving target, developing as we do.

    Ben
    http://kissthecook-ben.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

Tell me about yourself....