Friday, November 18, 2011

Forever Faithful…

I normally really like Karen Kingsbury’s writing and love her books, however, in this instance, I could not make it all the way through this trilogy. I could not make it through the first book in this all-in-one-three book set. I am not quite sure why I could not actually read this. It seemed like a story that I would have loved. The first part of book one was talking about how Hannah Ryan loses her husband and a daughter. Hannah is supposed to be Christian. In reality, I think (assumptions are mine) that she is kind of a Christian. Meaning that she goes to church, listens to praise music, she reads her Bible, but because she has never faced hardship in her life, she assumes that she never will. According to her, God won’t let bad things happen to me. Then a drunk driver takes her husband and daughter and she is left with nothing but anger.

She ignores her surviving daughter in order to begin a crusade to make sure the man who killed her family would be punished. At this point, her surviving daughter is dealing with the grief of losing her dad and sister who is her best friend. Not only that, she is wishing that she had died and her sister had lived because her mother is making her feel as if she is not enough.

After that part, I put the book down and thought I would give it a few days because I was very emotional. As it turns out, I never came back to it. I tried. I picked it up many times to open it and read again, but just could  not make myself. The emotions in the book are so powerful that I could not cope with the grief and deep sense of loss on the part of the characters. I have not really ever reacted this way to a book before. So it took me by great surprise when I thought about why I could not read this book.

Having said all of that, I will try to read this book at a later date and if I get through it I will amend my review to reflect that and what I thought about the trilogy in full. But for right now, I am not going to force myself to read this yet.

I got this book for free for the sole purpose of writing this review from WaterBrook  Multnomah.

Forever Faithful Trilogy by Karen Kingsbury (Chapter 1 Excerpt)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me about yourself....