Monday, October 29, 2012

A Sudden Glory~ Book Review

Sharon Jaynes has a wonderful book called A Sudden Glory: God’s Lavish Response to Your Ache for Something More. Reading this book changed the way that I look at God and religion. In fact, after I write this, I am going to read this book again and actually do the Bible Study in the back as I read. There is also a discussion guide as well. Sharon has her website here. On her web site you can get daily devotions to your inbox and such.

Sharon’s ministry is mostly aimed at women and with this book she is telling us that a glory ache is not uncommon and that when most women feel it they add more stuff to their already over scheduled lives thinking that will help us. When we find that it does not we are usually at our wit’s end! Instead she recommends that we slow down and be still to listen and hear from God. It takes getting used to for us women to slow down and do nothing, but it is imperative if we want to soothe our Glory Ache.

Another thing that she tells us is to be obedient to God. To let Him lead us where we need to go. That is not so easy either because we always think that we know better and how to get there better so we want to lead. Instead, we need to focus and listen to God and move how he tells us to. As Jaynes puts it, it is a wonderful dance with our maker, let him lead.

Another thing we need to do is erase the line between our spiritual life and our daily life. We need to make them both the same exact thing, again not easy but if you focus on it and make it a priority you will be amazed at how much you hear from God all of a sudden!

All in all, I loved this book and as I have stated in the beginning, I am rereading it with the Bible study that is in the back of the book to get the most out of this book. I did not think I would have been able to get through this book, but as I read it I had several ‘glories’ of my own. This is a wonderfully written book and it is easy to understand and keep reading. I recommend this book highly!

As usual, I got this book for free from Walter Brook Multnomah for the sole purpose of this review.

A Sudden Glory by Sharon Jaynes (Chapter 1 Excerpt)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me about yourself....